Saturday, January 18, 2020

Being thankful [RELIGIOUS]


        ^ I was up early this morning. As I headed down the hall towards the front of the house I noticed that the outside light that’s hooked up to a motion detector was on. I went to the front door and flicked on a section of porch lights as I looked out the window.
        ^ We have a LOT of porch lights since our porch goes around the entire house. Seriously, small planes could land in the field to the north of us we throw out so much light. There wasn’t anything on the porch, down the steps or in front of the house. Miss Winnie, a neighbor’s Beagle, will sometimes sit on the front porch steps until I come out and give her a treat. That would have been way early for Miss Winnie though. She doesn’t usually show up until the afternoon or at dusk. Her people don’t want me giving her too many treats since she has a bit of a weight problem.
        ^ There wasn’t anything there. The wind was blowing hard enough to be moving our wind chime and shade curtains that I was supposed to take down at the end of summer so much that the motion detector was responding. It was a cold wind too.
        ^ I was keeping a low profile so as not to disturb Kyra and Gadget.
        ^ If it’s technically morning and they’re up then they want to be fed and their feed time was still a couple of hours off. If we feed them early then that becomes their new feed time and they reset their little internal clocks. If I don’t feed them then I spend the next couple of hours avoiding eye contact with them as they try and use their doggie mind powers on me to guilt me into going ahead and feeding them since they haven’t eaten in days.
        ^ So I just sat down in my leather easy chair, got out the lapboard that I made for Dad when we were taking care of him and got my laptop from the table to do a little important work. After logging onto Facebook I read in a post where some friends lost a beloved pet. Immediately sad. Made me think of losing Old Fella and of course that made me tear up. Hey, I know combat veterans that cry when they lose a beloved pet like that. Shelley and I had just been talking about Old Fella last night before bed.
        ^ What I also noticed was that they gave thanks for the mercy extended by a stranger, knowing that their girl wasn’t suffering and that they didn’t have to always wonder what happened to her. Good times with their friend were also mentioned.
        ^ The train of life thought reminded me of when my dad passed away at a young age. I said then that we could be sorry at every future holiday that he would miss or be thankful for the holidays and time that we did have with him. We could remember his laugh. We could do what we’re supposed to do and keep on going the best we can.
        ^ We’re believers so we give thanks several times a day in our prayers. But you don’t have to be a believer to give thanks. And when I say believer I mean believer of any faith.
        ^ I usually start my prayer off with “heavenly Father”. It’s a habit of assigning gender to God from my Southern Baptist days. (I’m still in recovery.) Creator or Creator God works just as well. It’s immaterial to me if you use heavenly Mother. I’m starting to wander again. Anyway, a typical prayer for me goes:
        ^ “Heavenly Father, thank you for the many blessings that you have given us. Thank you for this day. Forgive us/my/our sins. Guide us and watch over us as we continue on our journey. Help us make the right decisions. (Shelley will often say “illuminate our path”. I really like that.) Thank you for this food before us. Bless this food to the nourishment of our bodies. Let us be ever mindful of the needs of others. We ask these things in Jesus’ name. Amen.”
        ^ When I’m praying for myself I will usually ask to be a better husband, friend, father, to make the right decisions in life, to listen better, to act better, to be more understanding and tolerant. When I pray for the President, any President, I pray for the same things that I pray for myself.
        ^ There are all sorts of variations and things that we add in our prayers. We will often give thanks for friends and family, specific events or people as well as ask for something for a particular person or group in need.
        ^ I believe that the important thing it to look every day for things to be positive about and thankful for even if it’s just having a roof over your head, food to eat or water to drink. I remember being taught to be thankful even when we were poor and living in three rooms. I remember being thankful that my older brother passed quickly and without suffering too much. Being thankful just isn’t about the material things that surround us. Being thankful should start with the basics of life and working from there.
        ^ You don’t have to be religious to be thankful during the day. Set aside times to think about where you are and where you need to go to get to place where you can be thankful if you aren’t. If you’re with beloveds then be thankful with them. Take the time to tell someone that you’re thankful that they’re in your life.
        ^ Since I am a believer I am thankful for the love I’ve known and for the life I’ve lived that brought me to this good place. I’m thankful for Shelley, friends and family. I’m thankful for a God whose son taught us that Love is what is most important.