Friday, July 1, 2022

Snapshot

 

            Some people that I don’t know follow my blog writings so I think I will share a little of who I am in regular life.  There should be zero interest in this.  The stats will tell.  Comments aren’t available at my blog because for some odd reason I can’t get that portion of the software to work though it did work at one time.  If they did work people would be posting death threats and making nasty comments. That seems to be really popular these days. 

I don’t usually memorialize the day-to-day stuff of our lives at my blog.  The writings that I post are, let’s just say pointed leaning towards acerbic mockery with a touch of sarcasm as I express my thoughts about the nature of events transpiring around me.  Also, I like double spaces at the end of my sentences.  What can I say?

I’m a rebel.

Normal day

            My wife and I are retired so we enjoy sleeping in and having lazy mornings. I enjoy my morning coffee.  I like it without additives. I don’t believe in decaf. In this house I’m the only coffee drinker when there’s just the two of us.  She doesn’t like black eyed peas and I love hoppin’ John.  It’s a mixed marriage. 

            The yard and plants are my domain.  We have one large indoor plant named Phil.  The wife got on a riding mower once back in the 80s.  I water all the plants in the morning before the heat of the day sets in. There are pots located in strategic places around our house and yard.  The flowerbeds are going away this year.  The Bermuda won.  I finally admitted defeat. The 16 inch pots are in the process of going on pavers with enough room for me to mow around them.  I don’t want to leave my wife with something that is hard to take care of or more expensive to have done in my absence.  That’s a nice way of putting it isn’t it?

            We’re in the country so it’s nice and peaceful most of the time.  There is the occasional gunfire since people do hunt in the area around us.  Mostly deer.  We’ve had them up in our yard along with other critters.  There is a variety of wildlife in the area:  bobcat, coyote, opossum, rabbit, muskrat, squirrel, skunk, fox, etc.  We have a clothesline strung on our back porch between a couple of the cedar posts.  Some little bugger kept stealing the wooden clothespins that we kept in a bag that the wife made that was hung by the line.  Never did figure out for sure what it was.  (A neighbor borrowed my trail camera.)

It's an easy life.

Exact change only

            My girlfriend and I celebrated our 34 years being married this week.  The actual day was some days ago but we were self-quarantined at the time and avoiding humans.  So yesterday we went to Eureka Springs, Arkansas to do some shopping and have lunch.  The town was the subject of a recent CNN story about their progressive, as in LGBTQIA+ friendly, community where they peacefully coexist with conservatives most of the time. In America of all places. Go figure.

            It’s a beautiful scenic drive with lots of hills and a couple of flat spots getting there. If they were to straighten the road out we would never have gotten there. (Lots of curves.)

            Right after we got into town, we shared a nice moment with another couple in a pay parking lot.  The cost is $5 for 4 hours.  Exact change only.  It’s one of those honor systems where you must stuff your money into a big metal box into a slot that corresponds to the number of the parking space where a car is parked.  

While my wife was stuffing in a bill at a time, since we only had dollar bills, into a slot as wide as a postage stamp, a young couple approached us asking if we had change for a twenty.  I laughed and told him that we had to scrounge up having enough dollars between us. He only had a dollar on him in small bills.  I checked my wallet to see if I had enough dollars left and sure enough did so I just gave him $4.  He was flabbergasted.  (A word we may think more of in the coming weeks.)  The couple was happy.

Really, all we did was save them having to go get change and coming back so they could stuff their bill into a miniscule slot.  Not a big deal in the scheme of things.  As we left to go and do our part to help the economy the young man hollered that he would pay it forward.  We’re going to meet up with them again next year in the same place and time to celebrate.

            Eureka Springs is a shopping mecca but of little shops.  We usually first go to Parts Unknown. Shelley likes their clothes and shoe selection.  I had a discussion with a lady about abortion while I waited on Shelley.  I’ve shopped with her enough that I’m able to search out clothes for her that she might wear.  I found another pair of pants for her.  She picked up some duds there and then we went to her second favorite clothing store Christopher’s.  More luck there.

            Then we finished off with lunch at Sparky’s.  An eclectic place with lots of different kinds of food and beer.  I had a delicious andouille sausage sandwich that had some kind of excellent sauce on it.  Shelley had a spicy chicken sandwich with grilled onions on it.  Their fries are delicious!  One order would have been enough for both of us. I selected a Guinness Stout for my beverage.  We like to go for ice cream afterwards but were too stuffed.

            I did stop off at a little shop that carries lots of doodads to see if I could find some kind of rainbow pin to wear on my shirt.  Often times people will see my tattoo on my arm of a cross and in the Ozarks, a conservative area for the most part, might assume that I am not supportive of LGBTQIA+ people.  I am and we are.  I did find one with rainbow colors.  They have a rabbit there that gives the change back to people.  It had the softest fur.

            On our way home we stopped at a little store in the country that makes candy and all sorts of scrumptious chocolate goodies.  Martin Greer’s is the name.  https://martingreerscandies.com/

            We made it to retirement and are able to enjoy the time.  Try and get there.  It takes heartaches and happiness to cover all those years.  Lots of our loved ones and friends won’t make it.  That’s the way life is.  We carry them with us as best we can. Make the best of the time you have.  It’s worth it if you make it.