Friday, March 3, 2023

Haulin’ Ass Hawley

 

(4 minute read)

Run away, Hawley! Run away!

            I would have loved to have been able to use the video of Senator Hawley running through the corridors of congress to the tune of “Chariots of Fire.”  It would have been perfect.  I was able to find an image that captures the nature of Hawley.  With the heading to this section, I wanted to evoke Forest Gump and a Monty Python sketch.  Did it work?  Not how I would want to be remembered. 

I do think that it’s a tad extreme to call him a coward though.  I mean seriously, did he really think that his buddies that he gave that mighty fist of solidarity salute to that riled them up would be after him as well as wanting to hang President Pence?[1]  Well, obviously he was afraid or he wouldn’t have been running.  When a mob gets all woke up like that they might not be able to tell the rightwing fascists from the pro-democracy leftists.  OMG! Was that a loaded sentence or what?  It might be the beer talking.

Honestly though I think that I would have been afraid if I had been there.  Maybe not.  I was in a riot once.  I didn’t run away.  Truthfully though the crowd I was with hadn’t been that worked up by people like Hawley and President Trump so I’ll go back to my original premise that I would have run away unless of course we had had a holy hand grenade.

Fraidy cats of the world unite.

What they say v. What they mean.

            Being old I am interested on Senator Hawley’s intentions on Social Security.  Now to his credit he is trying to exempt Social Security and Medicare from the Republican led House attempt to hold the nation hostage on the debt ceiling.  So he’s trying to save us from action that his Party initiated.  So, a big thanks to Hawley to for trying to save us from something he supports.[2]  I’m happy. 

Yet sad.

De-righting parents.

            I thought Neo-Republican Fascists were all big on “PARENTAL RIGHTS.”  Sen Hawley introduced a bill limiting access to social media to children under 16.[3]  It seems that he doesn’t believe parents are doing their job of monitoring what’s going on in their own homes and wants the government to step in and act in their stead. 

(“In their stead.”  I’ve used that twice now in this and haven’t used that expression in years.  I should drink beer more often when I’m writing.)

            It’s possible that I agree with Hawley on this.  Emphasis on possible.  I had to ban myself from social media for about a month.  It could have been something I ate.  I’m back on it now.  Perhaps Hawley could get government to step in for all the rest of us to save us from that absolute lying bullshit that the Neo-Republican fascists are distributing on social media including them for their hypocrisy of being for parental rights.

Except for when they aren’t.

Speaking of Big Brother.

            I actually like this quote from Hawley’s Washington Post opinion piece.  (Isn’t it interesting how they call media like the Washington Post fake news but they get their letters printed there.  (PRINTED?  OMG!  Man! I am old.)  Make that digitiled there.  Here’s the quote:

Decades from now, future generations will look back on social media in the 2010s and 2020s as we look back on the days of asbestos in buildings or lead in the water supply. Danger was everywhere; leaders only needed to realize it.

I identify

            You know when push comes to shove, I have to say that I know how he feels. Fascism is on the march once again and what used to be the Republican Party is leading the march.  We’re where 1930s Germany was.

            As an example, Virginia just passed a religious freedom bill.[4]  Sounds good doesn’t it?  Know what it means?  It means that Christian Nationalists can raise legal objections to what their kids are being taught in school along with having to serve LGBTQ people, Muslims or anyone else that they have issues with.  And they have issues with LOTs of things. 

They can use the bill to oppose vaccinations and just really anything else that Christian Nationalists object to like religious freedom for others.  They want the freedom to discriminate against those they consider, you know, different.  I’m different.  Are you?

*Are you sure?

 *Got all serious, didn’t it?


[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByWvdGJ8CwM

[2] Kunce on Hawley:  https://twitter.com/j9az/status/1625393890147840002

[3] https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/16/children-social-media-protection-congress/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please avoid name calling, personal and/or abusive language. In other words be civil. We need a lot more of that these days. Try and confine your comments to the topic of the post.